Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Circa 1980 My Pa and our Brahma Bull "Toro"



Ok, keep up with me here. This is an old photo of my Pa, and our Brahma Bull whom we named "Toro". Toro was not a bull to mess around with. He was huge and big and had large horns. He used them horns for things that only bulls know why. I saw this bull chase kiyotes, strangers coming onto our property, cats, dogs, skunks, you name it. This bull chased anything that may threaten his popularity with the 'lady cows'. He was the grand poo ba of them girls, and he would not let anything stand in his way of being the "man bull".
Anyway, about this photo. I remember this like it was yesterday. It was a nice summer day and Pa was in the back messing around and Toro walked up on the scene, pretty close to our house. I was just to the left of the photo on the back porch at the time. I watched my dad talk to Toro, soft, and quiet. Toro would blow huffs out of his nose and toss his horns a little to the left or right. Pa walked away from Toro and came back with metal rake. Not the wimpy kind with the long teeth, but the iron rake, with the short iron teeth. The tough sons a bitches. My Pa started using it to scratch Toro with. I was thinking what the hell was my Pa doing? Looking to get his butt horned? I was not feeling very good about any of this. Toro would stand there while dad scratched that bulls belly, near his wefo ranchero's (thats what I call bull nuts), and his back. That bull was loving it. The loud nose blows turned into softer ones and then he went down on his front two legs, then his back two legs, then that bull rolled over on his side and laid there while my Pa scratched and rubbed him all over. Thats when I grabbed the camera and snapped this photo. I was floored by it all and thought my Pa was bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doth speaketh?