Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Johnny's Pot Pie

About 16 years ago, my son had made me a blank cook book to put my recipes in. I recently found it and have been making plans with my 7 year old granddaughter, Laila, about making one for her. She has started clipping recipes from magazines and boxes and packages. It is so fun to watch, we spent about 3 hours going over recipes. Who else could hold the attention of a 7 year old for that long on one subject?? :) I found this one recipe called Johnny's Pot Pie in my homemade cookbook and thought I might share it with you all. I do not remember where I got it though...I am sorry about that.

A hearty wintertime favorite.

2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup ch. celery
1 cup baby Lima beans
1/2 teaspoon dried-leaf thyme
2 small potatoes, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons nonfat powdered milk
about 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 to 3 cups cooked chopped chicken
1 1/4 cups baking mix
2 tablespoons low fat margarine, room temperature
5 tablespoons very hot water

In a large saucepan, cook carrots, onion, celery, Lima's, and thyme in boiling water for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and cook until tender; add peas and cook until tender; drain well. In a jar with a lid, combine four, 1 cup milk, and powdered milk; shake until completely dissolved. Pour into a saucepan, stirring constantly over medium heat. Add salt and pepper; stir constantly until thickened. Stir in 1/2 cup milk and chicken. Stir vegetables into chicken mixture; mix well. Pour into a 9 inch square baking dish. Preheat oven to 45o degrees F. In a bowl, combine Baking mix and margarine;a dd hot water and stir until dough forms a soft ball. With floured hands, flattened dough into a 9 inch square. Gently fold up dough and place n top of chicken mixture. Unfold to fit dish. Bake about 8 minutes or until browned. Let pie stand a few minutes before serving. Serves 6

1 comment:

  1. I’ve been following and enjoying your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation

    ReplyDelete

Who doth speaketh?