Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Johnny Cakes Old fashioned goodness.


I used to eat pork along time ago. I found out that pork is unclean so I quit eating it. Basically a pig eats anything it can including fecal matter. That is not really something I wish to put in my body.

When I stopped eating pork, I started losing weight and feeling better. I did a test and put 4 raw pork chops in my oven & turned the oven on to warm for 20 minutes. Worms started coming from the pork. I had to sanitize my intire oven.

My friend told me, when the pork is cooked, the worms die. Yah?? I am not thrilled to eat the worms nor the meat they borrow in. Thanks anyway. By the way, my friend?? She is 65 pounds overweight and has alot of health problems.

So, way back when I stopped eating pork...I went back to the basics of life. Eating what man is intended to eat. I ran across this Johnny Cake recipe and will share it. It is a common recipe, but an old fashioned one, with out pork or worms in it. Enjoy.

Legend has it that the name derives from "journey cake", meaning a bread that could be cooked ahead when going out to work or on a journey.

In any case, there are as many recipes for Johnny Cake as there are cooks in Anguilla, ranging in style from something like hard-tack to something more like a donut. If you eat at local places in Anguilla, you will have Johnny Cakes eventually.

Johnny Cakes
3 Cups Flour
1/4 Cup Cornmeal
2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Margarine
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1-1/2 Cups Water
1/3 Cup Frying Oil for Cooking


Sift together flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Mix together with salt, sugar and margarine. Make a well in the flour mixture and add vegetable oil. Add water slowly. Mix carefully until mixture is not sticky. Knead into a ball until smooth. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Roll dough into a long strip and cut into small pieces. Knead each piece into a small ball. On a floured surface, flatten each ball with a rolling pin or your finger tips and palms. Add about 1/3 frying oil into a frying pan or enough oil to cover bottom of pan. When oil is hot, add flattened cakes. Fry on one side for 2-3 minutes, turn and continue with other side until both sides are golden brown.

Servings: 1-1/2 dozen

2 comments:

  1. are they pancakes? they look like blueberry pancakes, Granny. Course, that could be some Internet photo, since I see some bacon on that plate, too...

    I have copied your recipe down, and will try it Saturday morning!Thank you, Granny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny, just wanted to quickly tell you that I made your Johnnycakes this morning, to your recipe, and that they are delicious! I thought I'd be able to eat em all, but have just less than half saved for supper tonite!
    Thank you again, great and tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Who doth speaketh?